Monday, December 12, 2011

Have snow shoes....Will Write


An early Christmas present had me headed to Colorado this weekend to trek Lizard Head Trail.

While slogging through six feet of snow, at high altitudes, under crystal blue skies I got to thinking.... Snow shoeing is a lot like writing.

Like beating your head against the wall...it feels so good when you stop.

But like writing, when you are trekking uphill and find your pace and rhythm you can be lost in another world and never want to stop.

On the steep bits I tell myself to take ten steps and then I can take a break. I will still get to the top.

Just write 200 words today, everyday. One day I will get to the end of that book.

Lizard Head. A good title helps and you should know your destination. Where do you want your characters to end up?

I will never break trail.


But we writers always follow in the footsteps of the greats, one way or another.



You shouldn't go it alone. Trusted friends (husband, faithful canine or writer's group)who listen, encourage and tell you what they really think make the trail shorter, the writing stronger.

Leaving your comfort zone in the mountains or on the page makes you and your writing stronger. A short poem or a novel...it's always worth the work in the end.


Downhill? It might be easier than the rewrites but at least you are on your way...cruising.


2 comments:

Leslie Davis Guccione said...

Since I'm already writing again, this makes me want to get back on skis, too.

Barbara O'Connor said...

Wow! This is awesome. You are super woman