Saturday, October 13, 2012

Road Trip Part II: The Favorites


(favorite restaurant)

Every adventure has some disappointments especially if you are willing to drive down dirt roads with high expectations and the knowledge that not everything works out as planned.

We went down this road:
And found this:

When we had hoped to see the ranch and the tree that inspired this:

The Lawrence Tree by Georgia O'Keeffe.

This trip had so many favorites it is difficult to list them all here and each one needs a separate blog.  We found Georgia O'Keeffe's Ghost Ranch if not the DH Lawrence Ranch.  The tour did not disappoint and we saw the ranch and several of the exact  places where the artist painted.  



O'Keeffe said if she painted the Pedernal Mountain enough times, God would give it to her.  Her ashes were spread here.  This Mountain plays a part in Navajo creation stories as well.  
Always the connections I am looking for as a writer.

Taos was a little too much with less of the "real" feel.  Lots of people in town for an arts and crafts show and a colorful wool festival.  But a peek down some alley ways provided the ambiance I had expected.






Taos Pueblo was another favorite treat.  We arrived before the buses and for a few minutes we were in a real Pueblo village.   The people were friendly and generous in their sharing of information about culture and art.  I added to my growing collections of seed pots.  Note the "smoke cloud".


And what writer (or mother) could not resist these Story Teller Bears made from the same clay as the pot.  This clay mixed with mica sparkles when fired and is well known in this area.   

The story goes that mother bears often give birth during hibernation.  During this period the baby bears are silently taught all they need for the rest of their lives.

Touchstone Bed and Breakfast another favorite.  The right price included a two course breakfast.  Mable Dodge a wealthy patron of the arts who started a literary colony in the Taos area and was connected to O'Keeffe and Lawrence once owned this home.


 The art of the current owner is displayed in common areas of the inn and yes that ivy that climbs columns and beams throughout the eating space is real.


 We barely had time to explore the grounds which include a labyrinth and a tree house.


 Favorite restaurant?  The Love Apple which it turns out was just in front of the Touchstone B and B.


 The restaurant had blankets on chairs for outdoor seating in the cool autumn weather.  We were able to snuggle with ringside seats at the fire with wine while waiting for our table.  The food lived up to the magical ambience and was worth the wait.  But anyone who knows me and has eaten at my house knows the outside blankets and the fire were the real treat.

"I think that New Mexico was the greatest experience from the outside world that I ever had.  It certainly changed me forever...the moment I saw the brilliant proud morning shine high up over the deserts of Santa Fe, something stood still in my soul" ....  D. H.  Lawrence

"I think that New Mexico was the greatest experience from the outside world that I ever had. It certainly changed me forever ... The moment I saw the brilliant proud morning (sun) shine high up over the deserts of Santa Fe, something stood still in my soul." ~D.H. Lawrence
"I think that New Mexico was the greatest experience from the outside world that I ever had. It certainly changed me forever ... The moment I saw the brilliant proud morning (shine high up o"I think that New Mexico was the greatest experience from the outside world that I ever had. It certainly changed me forever ... The moment I saw the brilliant proud morning (sun) shine high up over the deserts of She deserts of Santa Fe, something stood still in my soul." ~D.H. Lawrence










No comments: